Why we became "born-again eaters"
As we age, it's natural for our skin to show signs of wear and tear. Wrinkles, fine lines, and sagging skin are all part and parcel of getting older. However, there are ways to slow down the signs of aging, and one of the most effective methods is through a plant-based diet.
A plant-based diet is not only beneficial for our overall health and well-being, but it can also work wonders for our skin. Here are some of the ways in which this nutrient-dense way of eating can help to slow down the signs of aging, particularly when it comes to our skin:
1. Antioxidants: Plants are rich in antioxidants, which help to fight off free-radicals that can damage our skin cells and lead to premature aging. By consuming a variety of fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds, we can flood our bodies with these powerful antioxidants, helping to protect our skin from the inside out.
2. Hydration: Many plant-based foods are high in water content, which helps to keep our skin hydrated and supple. Additionally, drinking plenty of water is a key component of a plant-based or 'vegan' diet, which further aids in keeping our skin looking youthful and radiant.
3. Nutrient-rich foods: Plants are packed with essential nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals, all of which are crucial for maintaining healthy, vibrant skin. These nutrients help to support collagen production, protect against UV damage, and promote cell turnover which contribute to youthful-looking skin.
4. Healthy fats: Plant-based fats such as those found in avocados, nuts, and seeds are essential for maintaining the skin's moisture barrier and preventing dryness. These healthy fats also help to reduce inflammation in the body, which can contribute to aging skin.
5. Reduced inflammation: Many plant-based foods have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to reduce redness, irritation, and puffiness in the skin. By minimizing inflammation, a plant-based diet can help to keep the skin looking calm and even-toned.
6. Improved digestion: A plant-based diet is typically high in fiber, which can aid in digestion and promote regularity. By keeping our digestive system healthy, we can help to eliminate toxins from the body more efficiently, leading to clearer, more radiant skin.
A 'vegan' or plant-based diet really can work wonders for slowing down the signs of aging, particularly when it comes to our skin. By consuming a wide variety of nutrient-dense, antioxidant-packed plant foods, we can help to protect our skin on a cellular level from the inside out, keeping it looking youthful, vibrant, and healthy for many years to come.
If you're looking to turn back the clock on your skin, consider incorporating more plant-based foods into your diet and embrace the amazing benefits they can offer. And be sure to check out our sister-site and podcast at ValleyGreenVegan.com. You'll find tips, tricks and super-delicious recipes for the whole family to enjoy!
'Til next time, be well!